Goals and Philosophy
Goals of Lafayette Christian School
- Develop and maintain a quality Christian educational program, from a Reformed perspective, where all students will (a) experience excellence in training and (b) develop positive relationships with others and the Lord.
- Assist parents and the church in leading each student to a heart commitment to, and a living relationship with, Jesus Christ as his or her Lord and Savior.
- Assist these young people in the development of their own personal set of moral and spiritual values which are rooted in God's Word.
- Give students the necessary skills in reading, math, science and communication that will enable them to (a) succeed at higher educational levels and (b) develop an appreciation for life-long learning.
- Develop within LCS students a sensitivity and responsiveness for the feelings and needs of others and the whole of God's creation.
Philosophy of Lafayette Christian School
Lafayette Christian School was founded in 1950 by the members of the Lafayette Christian Reformed Church and began with three teachers and 46 students in grades 1-6. The seventh and eighth grades were added the next two years with six students graduating in 1953.
The rationale for the existence of Lafayette Christian School and the reason that parents continue to plan, work, pray, and sacrifice is the same today as it was 50 years ago. They accept the call to joyfully obey God's command to do their best to see that their children are educated by dedicated, Christian teachers, and to live according to the will of God in service to our Lord Jesus Christ, His church, and the community.
The foundation for all true education is triangular –the home, church and Christian school is based on the teachings of the Holy Scriptures. We believe that the Bible is the infallible Word of God and presents a reliable and unmistakable account of the entire human situation. We believe that God created heaven and earth and innumerable creatures, and that He created human beings in His own image and appointed them caretakers of all that He has made.
We believe that, as His followers, we are called to be agents of Christ's reconciliation of a broken world. Thus, this Christian school is an institution whose policies, programs and activities are governed by the message of the Bible, while recognizing in every dimension, the implications of Christ's redemption. Lafayette Christian School exists because our relationship to God demands that we, together with our children, travel the road that leads from the "beginning of wisdom" to its fullness in Christ; and when we pursue wisdom, we obey the Lord, and His blessings will reign.
It is our belief that God directly commands that children of Christian parents be trained in the fear of the Lord. The authority and responsibility for this training of children resides in the community of Christians and with the parents in particular. Parents may, however, seek cooperation of the Christian church and teachers who are competent to assist in carrying out God’s command.
‘These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.” (Deuteronomy 6: 6,7)
The supreme standard of the Lafayette Christian School Society is the scripture of the Old and New Testaments, herein confessed to be the infallible Word of God, and interpreted in the ecumenical creeds and the historic Reformed confessions. (A summary copy of these confessions is available at the school.)